I have a lot of these logs from my firewall in the messages log.  I have the
firewall set to allow some of these messages through to certain hosts.  Is
it a bad idea to open it up to all hosts?  They don't appear with any
regular frequency: over a couple days, or a few days in between before the
next batch.  They always occur in groups of 4 to the destination IP address.
Why are they being blocked?  And what is my comp trying to send?  I whois'ed
some of the IPs and they are in domains I'm not familiar with.

Regards,
Drew
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

ipchains script re: port 3 -cut-

# (3)  Dest_Unreachable, Service_Unavailable
#      incoming & outgoing size negotiation, service or
#      destination unavailability, final traceroute response

ipchains -A input  -i $EXTERNAL_INTERFACE -p icmp -s $ANYWHERE 3 -d
$IPADDR -j ACCEPT

ipchains -A output -i $EXTERNAL_INTERFACE -p icmp -s $IPADDR 3 -d $MY_ISP -j
ACCEPT

ipchains -A output -i $EXTERNAL_INTERFACE -p icmp -s $IPADDR
fragmentation-needed -d $ANYWHERE -j ACCEPT
-cut-

Example kernel log message:

Nov 14 16:26:31 tenchi kernel: Packet log: output REJECT eth0 PROTO=1
me.me.me.me:3 207.217.98.200:3 L=92 S=0xC0 I=6596 F=0x0000 T=255 (#58)