OK, first things first.  txqueuelen sets the size of the transmit queue,
not the speed of the interface.  Hardcoding the speed of the interface is
a bit tricky.  If you are using modules for the NIC drivers, some drivers
take an option which sets speed of the interface.  Is there a speed status
light on the NICs?  If so, what does that say?  It still sounds like a
speed mismatch; have you tried rebooting or restarting networking after
connecting to the dual-speed hubs?  That would force negotiation.

- rick warner