** Reply to message from [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Luke C Gavel) on Fri,
24 Nov 2000 20:42:15 -0400 (AST)

> Hi,
>
> I've read the thread so far, and here is what I think:
>
> - At least one of your NICs is operating at 100baseT, but not
> all, correct?

Negative. Both NICs are at 10BaseT. Here is the relevant info:

Box 1: RH v6.1 with all updates. Output from Don Becker's
tulip-diag utility follows for a Linksys LNE100TX NIC:

tulip-diag.c:v2.03 7/31/2000 Donald Becker ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
 http://www.scyld.com/diag/index.html
Index #1: Found a Lite-On PNIC-II adapter at 0x9000.
 Port selection is 10mpbs-serial, half-duplex.
 Transmit started, Receive started, half-duplex.
  The Rx process state is 'Waiting for packets'.
  The Tx process state is 'Idle'.
  The transmit threshold is 72.
  The NWay status register is 000050ca.
 The current PNIC-II MAC address is 00:a0:cc:36:dd:1d (a000a000
36cc1ddd).
 The current PNIC-II WOL address is 00:a0:cc:36:dd:1d.
  Internal autonegotiation state is 'Negotiation complete'.
 Use '-a' or '-aa' to show device registers,
     '-e' to show EEPROM contents, -ee for parsed contents,
  or '-m' or '-mm' to show MII management registers.

Note the 10mpbs (shud read 10mbps, sic :)) which the card has
auto-selected.

Box 2: RH v6.2 with all updates. Relevant cut from /etc/sysconfig/hwconf
follows for a D-Link model DE-528-CT NIC:

class: NETWORK
bus: PCI
detached: 0
device: eth
driver: ne2k-pci
desc: "Realtek|RTL-8029(AS)"
vendorId: 10ec
deviceId: 8029
pciType: 1

This card is 10BaseT only.

> - the new two hubs which are 10/100baseT-capable are trying to
> auto-sense the band rate and are getting confused between the
> different speed-based NICs.

Perhaps, although the card according to Don's utility seems to be
performing up to spec.
'
> Correct?  If so, what to do?  Hard-coding the 100baseT NIC to
> 10baseT could prove difficult...is there any switch on the new
> hubs to manually select 10baseT?

Negative to hub switch.

Hub that works is a 3Com HomeConnect 10Mbps 5-Port Hub model 3C19260.

Now....stick the following hub which is a Linksys Etherfast 10/100
Auto-Sensing 5-Port Workgroup Hub model EFAH05W in the circuit (this hub
came with two matching Linksys cards as given above) and run the
tulip-diag and here is what we get:

tulip-diag.c:v2.03 7/31/2000 Donald Becker ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
 http://www.scyld.com/diag/index.html
Index #1: Found a Lite-On PNIC-II adapter at 0x9000.
 Port selection is 10mpbs-serial, full-duplex.
 Transmit started, Receive started, full-duplex.
  The Rx process state is 'Waiting for packets'.
  The Tx process state is 'Idle'.
  The transmit threshold is 72.
  The NWay status register is 000020ce.
 The current PNIC-II MAC address is 00:a0:cc:36:dd:1d (a000a000
36cc1ddd).
 The current PNIC-II WOL address is 00:a0:cc:36:dd:1d.
  Internal autonegotiation state is 'Ability detect'.
 Use '-a' or '-aa' to show device registers,
     '-e' to show EEPROM contents, -ee for parsed contents,
  or '-m' or '-mm' to show MII management registers.

Note the NWay register seems to be in a different state, and  probably
more importantly the autonegotiation is stuck in "Ability Detect" mode
instead of "Negotiation Complete". As I write, the Port 2 indicator
light on the Linksys hub is cycling between 10 and 100...apparently the
hub cannot
autonegotiate with its own matching card.  One would be tempted to
blame the hub rather than the card since the card works fine with the
3Com hub.

Experiment  number three with another hub Kingston EtheRx Soho Hub
model KNE5TP/H and the same cards gives this output from tulip-diag:

tulip-diag.c:v2.03 7/31/2000 Donald Becker ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
 http://www.scyld.com/diag/index.html
Index #1: Found a Lite-On PNIC-II adapter at 0x9000.
 Port selection is 100mbps-SYM/PCS 100baseTx scrambler, half-duplex.
 Transmit started, Receive started, half-duplex.
  The Rx process state is 'Waiting for packets'.
  The Tx process state is 'Idle'.
  The transmit threshold is 128.
  The NWay status register is 000000c6.
 The current PNIC-II MAC address is 00:a0:cc:36:dd:1d (a000a000
36cc1ddd).
 The current PNIC-II WOL address is 00:a0:cc:36:dd:1d.
  Internal autonegotiation state is 'Autonegotiation disabled'.
 Use '-a' or '-aa' to show device registers,
     '-e' to show EEPROM contents, -ee for parsed contents,
  or '-m' or '-mm' to show MII management registers.

Note the Internal autonegotiation state.  This is as it should be
because this hub is 10BaseT only and is NOT capable of autoswitching bit
rate. More a test of Don's utility (excellent) than anything else.

It seems you were on the right track, Luke. The proof of the pudding
will be to grab some other 10BaseT and100BaseT cards and try them with
the suspect hubs. I bet that if I make them all 10BaseT cards, all of
the hubs will work. But I may have to make them all 100BaseT NICs for
the Linksys hub to work. Will let you know what I find.

thanks for your time everyone,
Jack

Jack Bowling
Prince George, BC