From: Robert Fausey [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, December 08, 2000 10:05 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Red Hat 7.0 and 4 GB memory

On Fri, 8 Dec 2000, Nitebirdz wrote:

You should not have to recompile the kernel in 7.0 for it to recognize the
4G of memory, unless there is something wrong with the kernel that ships.
6.2 will recognize 4G of memory out of the box with no recompile (been
there done that).  The 6.2 kernel and I assume 7.0 kernel (I have not
tried 7 on a 4G machine) has the bigmem patch.  If the kernel doesn't
recognize the memory add mem=4096M to /etc/lilo.conf.

> On Fri, 8 Dec 2000, John Indra wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Dec 08, 2000 at 01:06:13AM -0500, Statux wrote:
> >
> > |You'll have to recompile your kernel one way or another... Linux 2.4.x
> > |supports memory that high natively, I think... but 2.2.x will have to
be
> > |patched... no clue where to get a patch from though.
> >
> > *sigh*
> >
> > Then, the only visible solution is to upgrade to 2.4.x?
> > Is the kernel upgrading process to 2.4.x easy on Red Hat 7.0?
> > Anysite that discuss the step by step direction?
> > Like I've said previously, I haven't followed Linux news for a while. As
> > recall, upgrading from 2.0.x to 2.2.x on Red Hat systems was a bit rocky
> > (involved upgrading modutils and other trivial things)
> >
> > Thanks for the respond...
> >

> You need the bigmem patch for the kernel.  Check out this page or do a
> search on the Net:
>
> http://oss.sgi.com/projects/bigmem/
>
> I never tried it, but it seems to work.

> Nitebirdz

Rob Fausey.

A communication disruption can mean only one thing ... invasion