On Fri, Dec 08, 2000 at 10:05:04AM -0500, Robert Fausey wrote:

|You should not have to recompile the kernel in 7.0 for it to recognize the
|4G of memory, unless there is something wrong with the kernel that ships.

Are you sure?
Anybody else can strengthen this statement?

|6.2 will recognize 4G of memory out of the box with no recompile (been
|there done that).  The 6.2 kernel and I assume 7.0 kernel (I have not
|tried 7 on a 4G machine) has the bigmem patch.  If the kernel doesn't
|recognize the memory add mem=4096M to /etc/lilo.conf.

OK... here's what I'm very positive at:
The stock kernel that shipped with RH 7.0 didn't detect 4 GB RAM on my
system!!! I don't know whether the problem is with RH 7.0 or my system, but
until I'm convinced that RH 7.0 ships with kernel that by default be able
to handle 4 GB of RAM, I'm still on my way of finding appropriate way to
upgrade my system to use 2.4.x kernel.

Thanks...

|Rob Fausey.

Regards,