On Thu, 21 Dec 2000, rpjday wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Dec 2000, Fred Edmister wrote:
>
> >          From my experience, the +'s mean that when the system was
> > configured, those partitions were set to expand to fill the disk should
> > there be any room left...  I have one partition set on my servers to
> > expand, I'm not sure what the details are on the expansion... (wether it
> > only expands as needed or just when there is extra space, it automatically
> > claims it.. )  Hope this helps.
> >
> nope, that ain't it.  first, why should there be *any* connection
> between making a partition growable during a linux install and what
> kind of attributes that partition gets on the disk afterwards?
>
> second, i just checked, and an explicitly-sized /boot partition
> on one of my hosts has the "+".
>
> i still think it has to do with not being on an even cylinder
> boundary.

ok.  when in doubt, read the source.  just grabbed the util-linux
RPM and installed it, zipping thru fdisk.c (if you'd like to follow
along, the salient code starts at line 1388, and contains the
following excerpt:

        printf(_("%*s Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System\n"),
               w+1, _("Device"));

        for (i = 0 ; i < partitions; i++) {
                struct pte *pe = &ptes[i];

                p = pe->part_table;
                if (p->sys_ind) {
                        unsigned int psects = get_nr_sects(p);
                        unsigned int pblocks = psects;
                        unsigned int podd = 0;

                        if (sector_size < 1024) {
                                pblocks /= (1024 / sector_size);
                                podd = psects % (1024 / sector_size);
                        }

... some stuff deleted ...

/* odd flag on end */   (long) pblocks, podd ? '+' : ' ',   <== AHA!!!!!
/* type id */           p->sys_ind,
/* type name */         (type = partition_type(p->sys_ind)) ?
                        type : _("Unknown"));
                        check_consistency(p, i);
                }
        }

  so a '+' is printed when the partition is not an even number of
*logical* blocks.

rday