rpjday wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Dec 2000, David Brett wrote:
>
> > I am trying to pipe to ping without success.
> >
> > awk '{print$1} testfiles | ping -nc 1

I don't think this syntax is right.  Try (in bash):

for foo in `awk '{print $1}' testfile`; do ping -nc 1 $foo; done

[in case your mailer doesn't print them correctly, the symbols before
awk and after testfile are backquotes.]

ping expects its host names to be command line arguments, not standard
input..

--
Michael Jinks, IB // Technical Entity // Saecos Corporation
"No one speaks English and everything's broken."  -- T. Waits