On 22-Dec-2000 John P. Verel opined:
> I'd like to change the font, characters per line and lines on the
> screen
> when in console mode.  I gather that setting the TERM environment
> variable may be the way to do this.  However, finding an alternative
> description for my machine is proving daunting.  My hardware is a Dell
> Precision Workstation 220 with a Sony UltraScan P991 19" monitor and
> Diamond Viper V770D Video Card.  I'm running RedHat7, out of the box
> installation.  Any suggestions?

'man X' (thats's a capital X) explains, in inordinate detail, how
geometries and other settings work. Also, you can look around on your
system for 'xdefaults' (vim has one on mine) and Xdefaults (emacs has one
of those). You can also find lots of information on the internet via
search engines that will explain things in far less detail than the
nampages.

At least, that's how I've always done mine, when I have done mine.

--
Make yourself at home. Clean my kitchen.