John, I think what you want is a package called SVGATextMode.  I seem
to recall that its configuration wasn't exactly straightforward, but
its purpose is to take advantage of the capabilities of your video
card while in console mode, which sounds like what you're looking for.

I'd be interested in how well it works for you, if you try it.

-d

--
David Talkington
Prairienet