On 22-Dec-2000 John P. Verel opined:
> On 12/22/00, 01:18:02AM -0600, Uncle Meat wrote:
>>
>> On 22-Dec-2000 John P. Verel opined:
>> > I'd like to change the font, characters per line and lines on the
>> > screen
>> > when in console mode.  I gather that setting the TERM environment
>> > variable may be the way to do this.  However, finding an alternative
>> > description for my machine is proving daunting.  My hardware is a
>> > Dell
>> > Precision Workstation 220 with a Sony UltraScan P991 19" monitor and
>> > Diamond Viper V770D Video Card.  I'm running RedHat7, out of the box
>> > installation.  Any suggestions?
>>
>> 'man X' (thats's a capital X) explains, in inordinate detail, how
> Thanks for the reply.  I'd not thought to look under X, as console
> (e.g.
> on my maching ALT-CTL-F1) is not a gui interface.  I'll have a look at
> the man pages, though.

Sorry. I was up late and just now noticed you said console, though I
might still have mistaken what you wanted for a term window rather than
actual console.

I can think of manpages that may/may not have what you want:

terminfo
environ
term
ncurses

These, of course, reference each other and other pages.

--
Plagiarism saves time.