I finally broke down and got my wife a separate computer.  She wants
nothing to do with linux.  Now we have a `his' and `hers' setup.

No more reboots for my machine.....

This new machine is running windows 2000 the NT version.

I wanted to put a small linux installation on it, for my own use when
necessary, so installed 7.0 on a third drive.

Not knowing much about windows:
I hadn't realized that win2000 NT runs a different filesystem, not vfat.
Also doesn't seem to have a handy way to get the underlying dos OS.
Doesn't have an `fdisk' either.

I was even more suprised to find that the 2.2.16-22 kernel with 7.0
doesn't grok the win2000 filesytem and can't mount it.  Linux fdisk
reports it as:
ID      system
7       HPFS/NTFS

Attempts to mount it tell me the kernel doesn't support it.

Checking the `documentation' with kernel source package:

/usr/src/linux/Documentation/filesystems/
There is documentation for both:
hpfs.txt  ntfs.txt

HPFS is apparently for OS/2, and the `ntfs' option returns:
mount -tntfs /dev/hda1 /mnt/dos2000
mount: fs type ntfs not supported by kernel

However the documentation file sighted above talks as if it should be
able to mount this filesystem. At least readonly, and doesn't mention
a need to recompile the kernel.

Anyone here know if this is the correct `type' and if the kernel
should support it by default?