On Tue, 26 Dec 2000, Nitebirdz wrote:
> I just checked on my system, and it seems to me that the "NTFS read only"
> choice is _not_ enabled by default in the kernel.  By the way, there was a
> recent discussion in the linux-kernel list about the read-write option.  Do
> _not_ compile that feature into the kernel under _any_ circumstances unless
> you're willing to risk data integrity.

There was an interesting discussion on this issue on the kernel mailing
list:

  http://kt.linuxcare.com/kernel-traffic/kt20001225_99.epl#5

Because of changes that Microsoft is making to NTFS in W2K and Whistler,
you seem to be better off using a shared VFAT partition, even for read-only.

The inclination among kernel developers tended toward removing NTFS
support from the mainstream kernel entirely.

thornton