On Wed, 27 Dec 2000, CH wrote:

> > So, more RAM isn't always better, especially if you're dealing
> > with an older chipset on the motherboard.  IIRC most P-II boards
> > should be OK, and all P-III boards should be.  Pentium based
> > systems are a toss-up.
>
> Would you believe ALi Alladin5 be one of the chipset that would have problem
> with large ram?  I know Intel 430HX (oldie) chipset with anything higher
> than 64mb will have performance drop while Ali Alladdin5 chipset seems to
> slow down with anything above 128mb.

I believe you're partly correct.  I (still) have a 430HX chipset based
P233 here - for my daughter - that used to be my main system.  Most of
the HX based boards allowed you to add an additional bank of cache RAM,
which would support >64Mb.  The 430TX chipset would not allow expansion
of the cache RAM, and just flat wouldn't cache >64MB at all.  This
caused multiple cache checks on each memory access, hence the
performance slowdown.

> One other question, I know adding large ram causing performance drop is
> usually the chipset limitation but can CPU sometimes have this limitation?

best
     rickf

Rick Forrister                 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Definition:  Honest Politician:  Once bought, stays bought."
                                --Robert Heinlein