David Krings <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hi !
>
>       First I was so optimistic, but the fonts still don't work right. What I
> did was enter all available FontPaths in the XF86Config which made half the
> fonts running, means I see in KDE2 the writing on buttons and window
> titles, but not in menues or any window. So I will list all information
> here that might be helpful. I also took a look at the config file for xfs
> which states that it is for RedHat 6.0. Is there anything different betweem
> xfs for RH6.0 and RH 7.0 ? Any clues ?

David,
First off, relax a little.  It must be frustrating having this
non-responsive problem.  I suspect it isn't really that difficult to
fix but am out of my league here.  I had a problem that gave the same
error messages you get.  I finally removed all X packages with
--nodeps flag to rpm and did an upgrade install.  Selecting the X
packages I wanted.  It worked and fixed my problem.  But is quite a
drastic measure.

If you are not running an important server or something, you may
consider doing it that way.

IMPORTANT NOTE:.... Before doing any of that suggestion it may pay for
you to post some of this on the `guinness' list.  The list
specifically for 7.0.  I'm going to forward your most recent post
there with a few comments.

You may subscribe to that list here:

Now to try to add something usefull here:

First off concerning whether there is a difference between 6.0
/etc/X11/fs/config and the one with 7.0:

Yes there is.. They may be very important.  I'm not sure:
I think you should use the one for 7.0
I downloaded the 6.0 package and extracted the config, running a `diff'
againt the one for 7.0 shows:

(Note: ignore the short number, comma, letter, number sequences
They are used for making patches... not our concern here)

(note lines preceeded by arrows pointing (<) refer to 6.0 config
"          ditto                       " (>) refer to 7.0 config

I've included only the ones that may matter:

    < # allow a max of 4 clients to connect to this font server
    < client-limit = 4
    ---
    > # allow a max of 10 clients to connect to this font server
    > client-limit = 10

The older file (6.0) allowed far less connections... may be significant

    9c9
    < clone-self = off
    ---
    > clone-self = on
    15,17d14

I think this one about cloning may be significant, may have bearing on
number of connections.

    < # Some of these are commented out, i.e. the TrueType and Type1
    < # directories in /usr/share, because they aren't forced to be
    < # installed alongside X.
    20,21d16
    <   /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi:unscaled,
    <   /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi:unscaled,
    24c19,20
    <   /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo
    ---
    >   /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo,
    >   /usr/share/fonts/default/Type1

I don't think the difference in the listings under the catalogue
section are significant.  It changes depending on what you have
installed.

The stock 7.0 listing is (comments added (##):
  ##  catalogue = /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc:unscaled,
  ##      /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc,
  ##      /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1,
  ##      /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo,
  ##      /usr/share/fonts/default/Type1
  ##

(continuing with `diff')

    31a28,30
    > # use lazy loading on 16 bit (usually Asian) fonts
    > deferglyphs = 16

deferglyphs probably does'nt have bearing on your problem.
But may be usefull

    33a33,35

    > # don't listen to TCP ports by default for security reasons
    > no-listen = tcp

No-listen is important as a security addition but would not have a
bearing on your problem.

Question... Why are you using 6.0 config?

>       Oke here are the outputs of the various commands:

David, you have *way* too much stuff installed.  You probably should
pare it down to bare essentials then get whatever else you need after
you get things working.

I'm going thru this and annotate the things I know about.  I don't
know about the various character sets.  You may need more than the
starndard ones I use.  But I've hilighted all that is not essential
below my indenting them.  Some things I didn't comment since I'm not
sure of their usage but know they are not essential

There are a numnber I've marked as `hardware specific' you need
exactly one of those.  I don't know which one.  It dependes on your
hardware.  The install should have picked the proper one for you and
symlinked it to /etc/X11/X.

You can see what was choosen by running:

ls -l /etc/X11/X

Should see something like:
 (will be all on one line)

   lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   31 Dec 26 11:35 /etc/X11/X -> \
   ../../usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_Mach64

The last part XF86_Mach64 shows the package my hardware needs.
It comes from a package with a similar name: XFree86-Mach64-3.3.6-33
So thats how you can tell which one you need.

Every thing to the left you need.. everything indented is not essential.

> ________ rpm -qa|grep XFree _______________
>
        > XFree86-AGX-3.3.6-33
Hardware specific.

        > XFree86-ISO8859-2-75dpi-fonts-4.0.1-1
        > XFree86-ISO8859-9-75dpi-fonts-2.1.2-13
unneeded character sets

> XFree86-VGA16-3.3.6-33
This one is also hardware specific  (VGA16)but I think some apps need it
to be installed

> XFree86-4.0.1-1
        > XFree86-doc-4.0.1-1
Not really necessary (docs) and not all that usefull for newbie

        > XFree86-ISO8859-7-100dpi-fonts-1.0-7
        > XFree86-Mach8-3.3.6-33

        > XFree86-Xnest-4.0.1-1
Special applications...

> XFree86-libs-4.0.1-1
> XFree86-75dpi-fonts-4.0.1-1
> XFree86-devel-4.0.1-1

       > XFree86-ISO8859-2-1.0-12
        > XFree86-ISO8859-7-1.0-7
        > XFree86-ISO8859-9-2.1.2-13
unneeded character sets

        > XFree86-Mach64-3.3.6-33
hardware specific

        > XFree86-xf86cfg-4.0.1-1
Not essential but contains a handy command line config tool

> XFree86-tools-4.0.1-1
        > XFree86-3DLabs-3.3.6-33
Hardware specific

        > XFree86-cyrillic-fonts-4.0.1-1
        > XFree86-I128-3.3.6-33
        > XFree86-ISO8859-2-Type1-fonts-1.0-12
        > XFree86-ISO8859-7-Type1-fonts-1.0-7
        > XFree86-Mach32-3.3.6-33
Hardware specific
        > XFree86-SVGA-3.3.6-33
Hardware specific
        > XFree86-xdm-4.0.1-1
> XFree86-xfs-4.0.1-1

        > XFree86-100dpi-fonts-4.0.1-1
        > XFree86-FBDev-3.3.6-33
        > XFree86-ISO8859-7-75dpi-fonts-1.0-7
        > XFree86-Mono-3.3.6-33
hardware specific  Only for very old mono (no color) monitors

        > XFree86-Xvfb-4.0.1-1
special applications

        > XFree86-8514-3.3.6-33
        > XFree86-ISO8859-2-100dpi-fonts-1.0-12
        > XFree86-ISO8859-9-100dpi-fonts-2.1.2-13
        > XFree86-twm-4.0.1-1
An old (little used) window manager

> _________ ls -ld /tmp ________
>
> drwxrwxrwt    8 root     root         4096 Jan  6 15:19 /tmp

Looks normal

> _________ df -h _____________

> /dev/hda10            4.8G  2.0G  2.6G  44% /
> /dev/hda1            1002M  330M  672M  33% /mnt/windisk

Looks normal

> _________ netstat -apvn |grep xfs ___________
>
> unix 0 [ACC] STREAM  HÖRT 921 692/xfs /tmp/.font-unix/fs7100
> unix 0 [ ]   DGRAM        927 692/xfs
>
> HÖRT is german and means listens

Not sure about this netstat output...  No server is connected .. may be normal
Since you are unable to connect normally.

This /etc/X11/XF86Config should definitely be removed (renamed and
saved) and a new one built by running  `Xconfigurator'
The font selection system works differently on 7.0.

> ________ head -n50 /etc/X11/XF86Config ______________
>
> # File generated by anaconda.#
> # Refer to the XF86Config(4/5) man page for details about the format of
> # this file.

[...] snipped XF86Config body

> I edited this file myself and added the FontPath entries except the first
> one which I change from "unix/-1" to "unix/:7100".

> ______________ rpm -V `rpm -qa|grep XFree` ________________
>
> S.5....T   /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/fonts.dir
> S.5....T c /etc/X11/fs/config

These are not important.. so nothing really major wrong with the packages

You mentioned that you were able to get X running but certain fonts
were missing.... What were the error message or output from that
session.

You didn't include the output of `chkfontpath' ... That may be usefull.

You can capture the output of startx by running it like this:

$ startx >startx.file 2>&1

That should leave a file in ~/ named startx.file that contains all
output including error output arising from the startx command.