I still am not sure what you would like to do,but what i gather is that you want
to access
a machine from home which is a linux box.
Try using VNC viewer which is available for windows,unix e.t.c.
There's a concept of client and server here.Basically,the server runs on the
remote machine which you want to access and the client will run on your linux
box.
It is a great tool.I have used it.It is as good as transferring control of your
entire pc onto your desktop(X-windows) here.
Check it out at:
http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc

Let me know if it helps...
Vineeta