On Sun, Jan 28, 2001 at 11:56:40AM -0600, Bob Hartung wrote:
> David Grill Watson wrote:
>
> I have discovered a further confounding factor.  Although 'rpm -q XFree86'
> reports that I have XFree86-4.0.1-1 installed when I look int '/etc/X11' I find
> two files :  XF86Config and XF86Config-4.  It is my understanding that the file
> read by >= XFree86-4x should be XF86Config-4.  However in '/usr/X11R6/lib/X11'
> the XF86Config file is linked to '/etc/X11/XF86Config' and if I relink it to
> '/etc/X11/XF86Config-4' the Xserver won't restart.
>
> I do not find any section called 'modules' in the plain '/etc/X11/XF86Config'
> file although it does exist in '/etc/X11/XF86Config-4' file so that was
> probably the original problem - now however I don't know which file I should
> leave and which I should delete/rename especially since the XF86Config-4
> version didn't seem to work!
>
> The install was a fress RH7 with all updates and errata installed.  The HD was
> complete reformatted at install time.  No other upgrades or additions have
> occurred other than installing 'AbiSuite'.
>
> Ideas?

I'm afraid I have nothing to offer in the way of help, but I have a similar
curiosity.  I'm right now trying to figure out why the meta (Alt_L) key on my
keyboard will work on the VT, but will send an accented 'a' when X is running.
I'd rather it be Meta so that I can do my bash command-line editing.  In the
process of investigating it, I found something else unusual:

I have a new system on which I installed RH6.2.  I left a 1Gb partition for
testing new systems and on that I installed 7.0.  I had it working find (more
or less :) so I upgraded the 6.2 partitions to 7.0.

Only the test partition has the XF86Config-4 file, and the main partitions
don't use the meta key right.  However, my machine at work, which I upgraded
from 6.1 to 7.0 uses the Meta key correctly.  Oops, correct that.  I noticed
that I do now have it on my main partitions, but it was only put there about
1/2hr ago, so it must get there when you run "Xconfigurator --preferxf4"...

Then, when I checked out all the XFree86 packages, I noticed that some of them
are 4.0.1, which others are 3.3.6.

The thing that irks me is that the Xconfigurator doesn't do any keyboard
setup.  There's xf86config, which seems to do more, but that doesn't improve
my sitation at all.  There's also the package XFree86-xf86cfg, which uses a
GUI interface and generates radically different config files (presumably for
XFree86 4.x), but installing that in place of /etc/X11/XF86Config would cause
an instant return from "xinit" and "startx".  I'm back to my old XF86Config
file that was generated by the installation/setup scripts from when I put 7.0
on here.  Incidentally, that one gave a recommended configuration (1280x1024
at depth 32) but running Xconfigurator (from the command line) wouldn't.  Other
than that, seemed to be the same.

If there's any place where I can find some info on how all this XFree86 3.3.6
intermingled w/ 4.0.1 and the differences between Xconfigurator, xf86config,
xf86cfg, etc, I'd love to read it!  In the mean time, if anyone can tell me
how I can get my Alt_L key to be recognized by bash in an xterm as meta, I'd
love to hear it.  After I have that figgered out, I'm ready to start into the
hard part of getting apache, mysql, and php all interacting right...

-Michael

--
No, my friend, the way to have good and safe government, is not to trust it
all to one, but to divide it among the many, distributing to every one exactly