Someone posted the following information to the list recently and it helped me fix the Abiword problem:

i had this problem too, it turns our the default Xfree 4 setup doenst
setup all the font loaders, i had to add these lines and to the module

Load "freetype"
Load "type1"
Load "speedo"

Edit the XF86Config-4