On Wed, 31 Jan 2001, you wrote:
> Most of the time, when I see telnet/ftp/ssh latency, it's because the
> system can't resolve the address from which I'm connecting.
>
> Check your /etc/resolv.conf file and make sure you have your correct DNS
> servers listed.

I'm having  a problem with my RH6.2 box. If I'm trying to ftp into it from my
Windows box while I"m online (via an ethernet based ISDN router) I often have
troubles logging in. I've got that machine name and IP address in the
/etc/hosts file, but it seems like it can't resolve the IP of that machine. I'm
*guessing* that it's trying to look it up via the DNS server, but can't and is
failing. How do I tell it to check the local /etc/hosts file FIRST for all
incoming connections?
        Thanks...
        John