I had a first go at this last night-you could call it a practise on
linux-2.2.18.tar.bz2.  I got as far as make xconfig.  Its not as frightening
as I thought it would be but has raised some new questions...

First I could find no mention of USB support in the xconfig window.  From
the USB pages I've found on the web I assumed it would have its own section
(button). There is a documentation section in the documentation sub
directories of the .  The only thing I could think it it could be down to
(after I shut the machine down last night) was that before running oldconfig
for the second time I copied my old .config file to the new kernel source
directory since the first time I ran it I realised (or thought) it was
refering to my new kernel source.  I won't bother  with oldconfig again.

The next question is I could only seem to select parallel printer support as
a module and not complile it into my new kernel.  I don't think in my
existing setup lp is a module.  This is after selecting parallel support as
a module -in my existing setup this latter definitely is.

Also should I compile in kmod this was deaulting to to no.  In my existing
RH6.0 system is kmod used and how do I find out.  If I use this to load
modules as required do I have to do any more configeration and if so what.
Ta.  NH.