Cheers Mikkel,
I wondered whether the path may not be correct to run make.  One last
question - do I run make oldconfig first then one of the others menuconfig
xconfig or is oldconfig equivalent to these?  I've read my "running Linux"
book and my "linux in easy steps" and the kernel howto and non of them
mention oldconfig at all.  Cheers NH.