On Sun, 4 Feb 2001, Kyle Hargraves wrote:

> On Sat, 3 Feb 2001, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

> > >   do you have a multi-port serial card attached to this machine ?
> > >   (or other such device which requires gettys ?)
> > >
> > This looks more like his VCs are not starting - mingetty?
>
>       Its possible - yes but I think unlikley.  I am ASSUMING
>       that the install built /etc/inittab correctly.  The next
>       step would be to comment out all the respawinings of mingetty
>       for ttys 2-6 and see what happens.
>
>       Of course if the user isn't trying to fire up Sx or Cx
>       {where x E [0..k] } devices requiring a getty then the virtual
>       consoles are the only choice. Also, the user is encourgaged to
>       take a peek at the rc file which was causing some grief.
>

> cheers, Kyle

If it anything besides the VC's the error message would be different.
Instead of INIT: Id "1" it would be INIT: Id "S1" or something on that
order.  Initd does not let you have two entries with the same label.
I just wish I had an idea on why mingetty would be erroring out!  The
system just sitting there is probably because there is not console to
log into.  The system might be accessable to network connections.

A loot at /etc/inittab may be helpfull...  If there is nothing wrong
there, then I would suspect a bad library.

Mikkel