To All,

I am looking for advice and links to more info on the following:

My sons school has about fifty pc we need to network.

We have a DSL line. We need to have web access and file services. E-mail is
also a possibility.

I think we need two linux boxes.

Box 1 will be firewall/proxy server. Two NICs, one with IP from DSL
provider, other to switch for network.

Box 2 will be file server (running Samba) and DNS server (do I also need
DHCP?)

Workstations are mostly Win95/98 but also have a few macs.

I am looking for software suggestions for firewall/proxy server (Squid?
Socks?).

Should I split firewall and proxy between two boxes? If so I have an older
pentium I could use for firewall.

If we go with e-mail should I put that on a seperate server? If so what type
of hardware?

I have found information on the detailed setup issues involved with some of
the software (squid, socks,firewall) and have experience with SAMBA. What I
need is real world experience on what works best and/or is easy to set up
and maintain.

Any links or advice is greatly appreciated.

TIA.

David Brenner

winmail.dat