I think separating the firewall and server functions into separate boxes is
a good idea just for security, though the whole project could be run out of
one box.

Why the need for a proxy?  Why not just use masquerading instead?  see the
MASQUERADING-HOWTO at your favorite linux docs depo, like linuxdoc.org.
It's easy to setup and maintain through firewall rules.

Use ipchains for a firewall.  Get a good script and modify it to your needs.
See http://linux-firewall-tools.com/ and read his FAQ.  Will also help you
set up masq through ipchains.

Run your DHCP, SAMBA, DNS, and other services from box 2.  If you need the
DNS to be accessible from the outside world, look into ipmasqadm for
forwarding that port to box 2.

Hope this helps.
Drew

winmail.dat