Mobeen:

I had the same problem when I updated to the new kernel. Did
you
install with rpm -ivh or rpm -uvh? Your previous kernel will
be there
if you used the "rpm -ivh". As far as how I solved my SCSI
loopback problem was first trying to kill off as many non
essential processes as possible and after I did I would try
the mkinitrd again but I continued to receive the message
"All you loopback devices are in use".
Well I decided to just do a shutdown so I would kill any and
all processes that existed and boot with the old 2.2.16
kernel that I kept because I used rpm -ivh and after it came
back up I had no problem doing the "mkinitrd". If you are
booting off of floppy have you tried to run mkinitrd image
after booting? And the key question is the first one I asked
is how did you do the upgrade, with rpm -ivh or rpm -uvh.
Your still Ok with the rpm -Uvh but you must use the floppy
boot method till you get this new kernel initrd image made.
You are running a SCSI system right, as I don't see the need
for a ramdisk for a non SCSI systems. If you can answer
these questions for me maybe I can help you further.

Eddie Strohmier