Hello All;

A little routing question, hopefully easy for one of you gurus to answer.
:-)

Using dial-up, sometimes I get disconnected from the ISP for one reason or
another. After redialing, I can't go anywhere; "host can't be found" kind of
errors.

The ISP uses dynamic IP addressing. After running "ifconfig" and "route -n"
I see that the default gateway is the IP for the PPP server on the ISP's
end, *not* the IP number that has been dynamically assigned to my machine;
and it stays that way even after restarting the dial up connection, and even
after restarting X-windows. (I notice in Windows 2000, after running the
"route print" command, the default gateway IP number is the dynamic number
assigned to my machine, and not an IP number on the ISP's end.) If I restart
Linux altogether, there's no problem, and there doesn't seem to be any
problem if the dial up connection is shut down normally, and not abnormally
terminated.

I tried to find a way to "flush" the routing information from the system in
order to force TCP/IP to renew itself with the new information, but couldn't
figure out how to do so. (I'm not even sure that "flushing" is what needed
to be done, but thought it seemed like a logical thing to try.)

The system is running a standard, out of the box Redhat 7.0 (no custom
kernels, no updated RPM's, etc etc.).

Any suggestions?

TIA,   Paul Greene