On Sun, 18 Feb 2001, Paul Chapman wrote:

> I have a problem that is baffling me at the moment.  After
> repartitioning and installing RH7 and Lilo in the mbr I am unable to
> boot into anything but linux.  Attempting to use the dos prompt in lolo
> just gets me a blinking curser.  Using any of the win98 or fips or
> mcafee emergency boot diskettes gets me the same thing (after a short
> while reading the floppy).
>
> I can mount the dos partition and the floppy ok from linux and look at
> the contents.  Everything seems to be there.
>
> I tried to remove lilo (and restore the original mbr) with dd and cat
> (as in the howto) but it is still there.  I don't have a dos diskette
> handy to try dos that to try to boot into dos and move it that way.
>
> Thanks,
> Paul

Did windows boot after you repartitioned the drive, and before you
installed RH7?  Or did you break Windows when you repartitioned the
drive?

If Win98 did boot after repartitioning the drive, did you have to use
something like Disk Manager when you installed the drive before Win98
would see the hole drive?

Exactly what commands did you use to try and remove LILO?

You said the Win98 disk could not access the drive.  How long did you
wait whe trying to boot with it?  It takes a while to boot up off one of
those disks, and it will sometimes look like it is frozen before it gets
around to showing a prompt.

Mikkel