On Sun, 25 Feb 2001, Kiran Kumar M wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Feb 2001, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>
> > > I am trying to use my redhat box as a dailin server by using multitech
> > > cards. I am able to login as a user with password, if the user exists in
> > > /etc/passwd.
> > >
> > > But when I try to find out who are logged in on my machine, by using the
> > > command who or finger, I am not getting the required data.
> > >
> > > By "who" I am getting every dialup user is a_ppp and in "finger" I am not
> > > getting the dialup user list.
> > >
> > > How can view the login "userids" (from the dialup, not as a_ppp) by using
> > > who or finger.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Kiran
> > >
> > It sounds like you are using the auto-ppp login.  Have you tried adding
> > the login option to the ppp config file for the port?  It should do the
> > trick.
>
> Thanks for your reply. Actually for loggin on the server through dialup, I
> am using the following line in a script.
>
> exec /usr/sbin/pppd silent auth -chap +pap login
>
> This will be called from the passwd (from the SHELL option)
>
> So where should I change... Any ideas..
>
> Thanks,
> Kiran

Let me make sure I have this correct.  The user loges in with user name,
and password.  Then ppp is started for them?  This is the oppisite of
what I thought you were doing.  In this case, you do not want to use
login, and you probably want noauth, and not auth -pap.  The
authentication is already done with the username/password, so the extra
authentication is not needed.

If I understand how the login option of ppp works, what is happening is
that you are telling it to record the user who is logging in, but you
are not giving it the correct user name because of the way you are
calling pppd.  The login option is for when you use someting like the
autoppp option of mgetty, or other programs that make the connection,
but do not authenticate the user.  You start pppd without any
user/password prompt, and the user name and password are exchanged as
part of the ppp handshake.

Try "exec /usr/sbin/pppd silent noauth", and see how that works.

Mikkel