On Sun, 25 Feb 2001, Kiran Kumar M wrote:

[snip]

> > Let me make sure I have this correct.  The user loges in with user name,
> > and password.  Then ppp is started for them?  This is the oppisite of
> > what I thought you were doing.  In this case, you do not want to use
> > login, and you probably want noauth, and not auth -pap.  The
> > authentication is already done with the username/password, so the extra
> > authentication is not needed.
>
> Yes. I tried with noauth.. no use
>

> > If I understand how the login option of ppp works, what is happening is
> > that you are telling it to record the user who is logging in, but you
> > are not giving it the correct user name because of the way you are
> > calling pppd.  The login option is for when you use someting like the
> > autoppp option of mgetty, or other programs that make the connection,
> > but do not authenticate the user.  You start pppd without any
> > user/password prompt, and the user name and password are exchanged as
> > part of the ppp handshake.
> >
> > Try "exec /usr/sbin/pppd silent noauth", and see how that works.
>
> In mgetty login.config I used the options like
>
> /* @ @ /usr/sbin/pppd noauth
>

> and also I tried without calling any sheel after authentication, i.e., i
> kept /dev/null
>
> In all the cases it is not displaying the userid ... any more ideas..
>
> If u already did this type of work, in different model, i am ready to
> check in that way also (without system authentication initailly also
> like radius client,etc)
>
> Thanks,
> Kiran

It has been a while sence I had this set up - on a RH5.2 machine.  Let
me see if I can re-construct this...

Do you want to automaticly open a PPP connection when the client
connects and sends a LCP configure request, with a fallback to
username/password?  Or do you want to require that they log in using
username/password, and then have the PPP connection made?  This makes a
BIG difference on how you set up the mgetty login.config file.

For the first setup, you want lines like this:

/AutoPPP/ -    a_ppp   /usr/sbin/pppd auth -chap +pap login
*       -       -       /bin/login @

These are the default setup.  They did work, and I think they still do.
Then stick an entry like this in /etc/ppp/pap.secrets:
*               $(hostname)     ""      *

For the second option, you need:
*       -       -       /bin/login @

And then for the user's shell, you need something like:
/usr/sbin/pppd silent noauth

If I remember correctly, you need pppd suid root for this to work.

If I get time this afternoon, I'll check it a 6.2 box, and make sure it
still works.

Mikkel