On Sun, 25 Feb 2001, Masgras George wrote:

>  Hy all! I still couldn't find a way to solve my problem... and that is: I
> have a 14400 hard modem and a RH 7.0 box. the problem is I can't acess the
> modem or the ppp0 interface under X.. from bash it's all ok! i've checked
> the intrrerupts, ioports and addresses for the modem ...i thought that it
> was in conflict with the video card .. which btw is a Cirrus Logic CL/GD
> 5430/40 PCI with 1 MB I don't have any ideeas so .. thanks in advance!

How are you trying to "access" the modem under X?  With the modem and
ppp0 working from the command line, you problem is probably the software
you are using is not configured to use the correct device, or you are
missing a symlink.  It would be unusual it it was a conflict with the
video card.

If you want to check for this type of conflict, you could always start
X, and then change to another console, and see if you can still use the
modem.  If you are logged in to VC 1, and start X, you can change to VC
2 by hitting Alt-Ctrl-F2.  From there, you can log in, and play with the
modem, or bring up ppp0.  If the modem still works, you can be fairly
sure it is not a conflict with the video card.  To get back to X, hit
Alt-F7.

After you have confirmed that it is not the video card, see what port
ppp is using to talk to the modem.  The configure the software you are
using in X to use the same port.

Mikkel