> How are you trying to "access" the modem under X?  With the modem and
> ppp0 working from the command line, you problem is probably the software
> you are using is not configured to use the correct device, or you are
> missing a symlink.  It would be unusual it it was a conflict with the
> video card.
   I'm using the modem while trying to connect to my isp with kppp and it
says
 that the modem doesn't respond. I've made the link between
/dev/ttyS3 and /dev/modem

> If you want to check for this type of conflict, you could always start
> X, and then change to another console, and see if you can still use the
> modem.  If you are logged in to VC 1, and start X, you can change to VC
> 2 by hitting Alt-Ctrl-F2.  From there, you can log in, and play with the
> modem, or bring up ppp0.  If the modem still works, you can be fairly
> sure it is not a conflict with the video card.  To get back to X, hit
> Alt-F7.
 That's the big problem! It goes like this: I connect  with wvdial before i
enter X ..then i enter X and if i switch to another VC ..the modem is still
connected but ppp0 is down and nothing works anymore .. so... i disconnect
with killal -9 pppd ... it disconnects my modem... but if i try to
reconnect...
nothing! the modem doesen't respond! i try to exit X and then acces my modem
still nothing ...the only solution is to reboot...