On Mon, 26 Feb 2001, Masgras George wrote:

> > How are you trying to "access" the modem under X?  With the modem and
> > ppp0 working from the command line, you problem is probably the software
> > you are using is not configured to use the correct device, or you are
> > missing a symlink.  It would be unusual it it was a conflict with the
> > video card.
>    I'm using the modem while trying to connect to my isp with kppp
> and it says that the modem doesn't respond. I've made the link
> between /dev/ttyS3 and /dev/modem

[snip]

>  That's the big problem! It goes like this: I connect with wvdial
> before i enter X ..then i enter X and if i switch to another VC
> ..the modem is still connected but ppp0 is down and nothing works
> anymore .. so... i disconnect with killal -9 pppd ... it disconnects
> my modem... but if i try to reconnect...
> nothing! the modem doesen't respond! i try to exit X and then acces
> my modem still nothing ...the only solution is to reboot...

I am not sure exactly what you are telling me kere.  Lets take things in
easy steps...

>From the command line, you can start a PPP connection, and everything is
fine, right?  What happens if you start X, and then try and access the
Internet over the ppp connection?  (Not running kppp, because the
connection is already up...)  Can you still use the ppp link?

Second test.  PPP connection is not up.  Modem is still working.  You
start X, and run kppp.  What does kppp report?

Third test.  After you have started ppp using wvdial, started X, run
kppp, and lost the ppp connection, try using "ifdown ppp0" or just kill
and not kill -9 to bring down the dead ppp connection so that you give
pppd a chance to clean up after itself.  Otherwise, you can end up with
stale lock files that have to be removed before you can access the modem
again.

Mikkel