I first touched Linux in '97, when I was a Windows sysadmin for a small
consulting firm and we'd started to outgrow Windows as a platform for
utility work like network servers and such.  Within a couple of months
of my first test Linux install I'd set up about half a dozen systems,
doing web, routing, ftp, file services, mail, DNS, the works.

In spring of '99 I left for a major private university in Chicago.  The
area where I started was primarily Solaris on the server end, but that
was getting too expensive for our division so on my watch we started to
move in some Linux- and BSD-based systems.  Kit there was maybe four or
five relatively large divisional servers (still Solaris last I knew),
roughly two dozen smaller departmental boxes (Solaris), and a scattering
of Just About Everything stashed away in various labs and offices here
and there.  The IS department's own infrastructure ran some of
everything, NT, Solaris, Irix, MacOS, Linux, FreeBSD, and probably
something I'm leaving out.

Last fall I took a job with a startup software development and
consulting firm targeting the financial sector.  We run about a dozen
Linux workstations and two servers (all intel), plus a couple of OpenBSD
machines for routing and testing, and maybe three or four Windows
beasties for the non-tech types.

--
Michael Jinks  mjinksATsysvi.com ~*~ http://www.yellow5.com/pokey/
unconfirmed: the linux penguin;the bsd daemon;the sunOS brain slug