Hi Derek!

> Hi,
>
>       I am looking for a very robust solution for monitoring activity on a
> network.
>
> - auto-configuration - meaning that it can take a block of IP
>     addresses and figure out if machines are up, what OS
>     they are running, and the open ports.
>
> - new machine alert - notify me of new machines that start
>     listening on a block of IPs
>
> - web based and web configurable
>
> - handle several thousand hosts
>
> - elaborate alert notification system

I use NetSaint which is a very good tool but is not auto-configurable. It relies on
you telling which hosts to monitor and for what services. Sincerily, after trying a
few tools performing "auto-discovering" of the network I prefer to type all data into
NetSaint. It is very flexible, configurable and reliable, besides meeting your
requirements except for the first.

NetSaint does not support your second requirement out-of-the-box  (new machine alert)
but I can imagine many easy ways to configure it to do this. If you are willing to
start a new project, I beg you to join the NetSaint developers and provide your extra
features as a plug-in.

[]s, Fernando Lozano