On Thu, 22 Mar 2001, Andy Schuler wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We're doing something interesting here at ErnieBall Inc., (we
> manufacture guitars and guitar accessories) we're getting rid of every
> single Micro$oft product we own. We have about 100 users on our network
> so this has proven to be a daunting task...but very interesting. We have
> a central X server running RedHat 7.0 and all the client machines pull
> an X session from that machine (or will when we are finished). This
> configuration has it's obvious advantages but has also presented us with
> some challenges. Here are a couple, maybe all you gurus have some ideas
> for me.
>
> 1) We'd like to be able to setup sound on some of the local machines
> while still logging into an X session on the server.

Esound may be able to do this for you.  I have not kept up on it, but it
is susposed to enable using your local sound card by network
applications.  Something to look into.

> 2) We'd like to have some instant messaging system where the root user
> can send system messages to all the users via their X session.

Run something like xcolsole, tied to a named pipe for each secession.
Then a small script that writes a message to each named pipe.  Or you
could adapt something like kpopup that is set to pop up a message when
used with samba.  Basicly, you pop up a window on their desktop with the
message.

> 3)We're using StarOffice and have been pleased with everything except
> it's database system, anybody know of anything that would a satisfactory
> replacement for Acce$$?

Cann't help here - I don't use access.

> 4) There's probably a bunch of other things we'll run into so I'll post
> them as they come up! =)
>
> Thanks for your help!
>

> Andy Schuler
> IT Dept. ErnieBall Inc.
> www.ernieball.com

Keep us posted on how it goes.  If you deside to add some diskless
workstations, you may want to look into the Linux Terminal Server
project.

Mikkel