On Wed, 21 Mar 2001, at 15:30 (GMT -0800), Thornton Prime wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Mar 2001, Chuck Mead wrote:
>
> > Here's what Micro$oft said about the matter themselves:
> >
> > http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/web/news/msnw/Hotmail.asp
>
> Ouch. That made my side hurt from laughing too much.
>
> thornton

Ok guys, I'm posting that page over there for those with only email

Laugh it up! I's to damn funny

"Solaris wasnt scalable enough"<-- LMAO

--

    If Bill Gates had a dime for every time a Windows box crashed...
                     ..., Oh wait, he already does.
  Enter a search phrase:

Web Services | News
Facts About Hotmail's Production OS Environment

Send this document
to a colleague

Printer-friendly
version

Situation
Rumors have surfaced regarding Hotmail's utilization of Solaris to run the Hotmail web based e-mail service and a failed attempt to port Hotmail to Microsoft® Windows NT® Server. These rumors are inaccurate and Microsoft and Hotmail would like to set the record straight by focusing on the facts.

Facts about Hotmail

  • Hotmail is the fastest growing e-mail service in the history of the industry. The service has 16 million members, and is growing by 80,000 per day, according to Steve Douty, Vice President of Sales and Marketing at Hotmail.
  • Solaris is one of several operating systems in use. So is Windows NT Server.
  • Hotmail was designed to be a massively scalable Web site. Solaris is Hotmail's legacy production operating system, but Hotmail had to customize the filestore service as well as the IP stack because "off the shelf" Solaris could not scale to meet demanding performance requirements.
  • Long term, Hotmail is committed to moving to Windows NT Server. However, wholesale migration to Windows NT Server has not yet been attempted. The Hotmail team is currently focused on growing its services and integrating with The Microsoft Network.
  • Significant planning and preparation are required to migrate a 24X7 operation. Microsoft does not advise customers to "rip and replace" Unixbased systems because this is not the way to migrate missioncritical systems. Migrating to Windows NT Server will be carefully planned so as to not disrupt services for Hotmail's huge and growing membership base.
  • Microsoft's e-mail servers offer scalable webbased e-mail solutions. For example, Microsoft Exchange provides a rich set of capabilities for Web users beyond e-mail, including calendaring, contacts (with 5.5 Service Pack 1), public folders and directory. The capabilities are core to our product offerings and will be enhanced in the future.
  • Microsoft Commercial Internet System is a highly scalable Windows NT Server based platform for commercial Internet services. MCIS provides excellent messaging capabilities for commercial service providers and online communities.
  • Windows NT Server is a true multipurpose operating system. Enterprise computing depends on scalability, manageability, and reliability, as well as low cost of ownership. Windows NT Servers delivers on all three while providing builtin underlying services that today's distributed applications require.

  Last Updated: Monday, March 01, 1999
  © 2001 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Terms of Use.