On Sun, 25 Mar 2001, Michael McLeod wrote:

> I have been thinking about this problem and am wondering, HOW & WHY this
> happens.  What is the relationship of RH7 to RAM, how does it use it which can
> stop it from booting and why did RH6 and Windows 98 1st continue to work?  I'm
> wondering if there is anybody on this list who can answer these questions for
> me?
> Thanks
> Michael
>
> Michael McLeod wrote:
>
> > I had an idea it might be RAM (don't know just a hunch). I has 32Meg of SIMM
> > so I removed my SDRAM DIMM and installed the SIMM.  I Installed RH7 and it
> > worked, albeit, a little slow due to only 32 Meg of RAM.  I tried adding
> > back into the setup the 128 Meg SDRAM DIMM and now I have 160Meg of RAM and
> > everything works fine, WOW.  Something to remember.
> > Michael
> >
> > Michael McLeod wrote:

I would suspect that part of the RAM is marginal, and the 7.0 installer
was pushing it hard enough to make it fail.  Windows and the RedHat
after it is installed, are not pushing the RAM.  Or addign the 32M of
SIMM may have changed the timing of the memory access enough to make
the DIMM work.  (Or it could be something else...)  One way to test this
would be to remove the 32M of SIMMs, and run Memtest 86 and see if it
finds errors.  If it finds errors, put the SIMMs back in, and see if the
errors go away...  Then double check your memory timing settings in the
BIOS.  Also, did you have any strange lockups, crashes, or segfaults
under RH6?  Things like compiling the kernel are good for showing memory
problems...

Mikkel