My understanding is that all Truste certification means is that the
company abides by their posted policy.  Not that the policy is good or bad
or really protects your privacy - just that the certified company abides
by the policy posted on the company's WWW site.

If you look at TRUSTe's site
http://www.truste.org/consumers/users_how.html, you'll see a section
entitled "So, What Does TRUSTe's Trustmark Mean to You?"  It states that
the site will disclose what information is being gathered, how that info
will be used, who it will be shared with, any safeguards in place, and how
to correct inaccuracies.  Notice that there's no mention of actually
protecting your rights or providing privacy.  As long as the company
policy states the above info, they can be approved.

So, if I state that the information I collect from you (name, address,
phone, etc.) will be sold to the highest bidder to make money to pay for
my new BMW, will be protected by ROT-13 encryption and the server will be
guarded by my trained chihuahua, and that you can update or correct the
info by sending me the changes with a money order for $10, I could
technically qualify for TRUSTe certification.

Makes you wonder, huh?

Craig