On Fri, 4 May 2001, Ted Gervais wrote:

> Just wondering something here -
>
> I have two ipaddresses. And therefore have two ways of getting to my gateway.
> One of the ipaddresses is an amateur radio address (ampr.org address) and the
> other the normal commerical address.
>
> If I have my workstation set with an ampr.org address and it  accesses the
> gateway using the gateways's ampr.org address - it appears that I can't reach
> the commerical world. But I can go anywhere in the 'ampr.org' world?
>
> Does this make any sense?
>
> My workstation's ampr.org address is 44.135.34.210. The gateway is
> 44.135.34.201.  The commerical or normal addressing is  142.176.139.107 for
> the workstation and 142.1786.139.106 for the gate.  Should it make any
> difference to the gate that requests are being made to the ampr.org world or
> the commerical world??

What does your routing table look like for each setup?  Are you using
the same interface to reach both gateways?  Are both gateways the same
device?

I would need to know more about your setup, but the gateway could be set
up so that packets from 44.0.0.0/8 can only connect to other 44.0.0.0/8
addresses.  If this is the case, and the gateway is the same machine for
both networks, you should be able to add a virtual interface, so that
you have 142.176.139.107 for eth0, and 44.135.34.210 for eth0:1.  You
would configure thing so that the 44.0.0.0 network uses eth0:1 with
gateway 44.135.34.201, and the default route uses eth0 and gateway
142.1786.139.106.

Now, if you use different interfaces for the two different IPs, then it
is ever simpler.

Mikkel