On Sat, 10 Nov 2001, fred smith wrote:

> I'm sure someone else has already asked this, but allow me to bring
> it up too...
>
> I've just done a fresh install of 7.2 on my wife's system, the only thing
> that changed is we put in a new hard drive, and instead of copying the
> 6.2 and upgrading, we just did a fresh install.
>
> It is OBVIOUSLY much slower at everything than was 6.2 on the same
> hardware. This is not a high-end machine, but OTOH it's no serious
> woofer either. it's a K6-2/350 with 128meg of PC100 RAM. it's run 6.2
> nicely for over a year with reasonable performance. All of a sudden, with
> 7.2 booted you think you're gonna die waiting for anything you do.

<snip>

Fred,

I installed the beta version of Red Hat Linux 7.2 on a system with 128 MB
of memory, and also noticed how slow it was compared to my main system
(256 MB of memory and SCSI drive).  I first blamed it on the smaller amount
of memory, but then a fellow pointed out that there is a good chance it
could also be due to the kernel itself and all the VM issues it has been
experiencing.

Did you try installing a different kernel from the 2.4 series?  Did you try
with the ac kernels?

I still have a feeling if you add more memory (pretty cheap these days, isn't
it? :) ) it should work fine.  Of course, that brings up a completely
different issue: is Red Hat Linux able to run on older hardware with not so
much memory?  My guess is that it would as long as you don't install XFree86,
KDE, Gnome, etc.  but this is admittedly only a guess.

Nitebirdz
http://www.linuxnovice.org
News, tips, articles, links...

*** XFS for Linux: http://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs ***