Thanks for your reply--indeed, I was vague about part of the problem.
I'm glad to know that the filesystems won't be an issue, but after
copying data from the bad ATA drive to the good ATA drive, I'll still be
trying to move that data to another, physically separate SCSI drive on
another machine--my understanding is that I would need SAMBA or NFS
(which I don't have) to easily back up from one machine on a network to
another.  I'm thinking I can't mount a drive on another machine without
something like that. Can I use something like rsync for this purpose
instead?