Great, thanks!  One last question: would the syntax of the command you
provided change at all in case I were trying to sync data from a
second HD on the source machine, that I had mounted on the
primary HD e.g.:

rsync -av -e ssh /mnt/baddrive/mydata target.machine:/target/dir

Hope this isn't a dim question -- I'm trying to figure out a couple of
different concepts at the same time & I can get a bit turned around.