Interestingly enough, I added "eth1" to the "daemon /usr/sbin/dhcpd eth1"
line, and restarted dhcpd.  Then, I commented out the port 67 and 68 lines
in my firewall config, and restarted the firewall.

I then watched my firewall drop the DHCP requests in the bit bucket.

So, I re-enabled those ports, for the eth1 interface (the internal
interface), and the firewall stopped dropping the requests, and the
appropriate workstation was able to renew its IP address.