On Mon, Dec 17, 2001 at 08:25:27AM -0800, Monte Milanuk wrote:

> On 17 Dec 2001, Dominic Mitchell wrote:
> >
> > Why should I forget the S3? I have tight budget constraint, I have
> > the S3 here, it has almost not been used.  Even though other cards may
> > be better suited, I can change the card later when the money comes
> > in.  Unless there is something technical that I am missing?
> >

> FWIW, an older card may not handle the GUI installer that well.  I have an
> older machine acting as a server, but for various reasons, I need X
> installed, so I tried the GUI installer at first.  Wouldn't work.  Kind of
> odd, as this is a card that *used* to work just fine w/ X/Linux, a Matrox
> Millenium w/ 4MB memory.  Works fine if I use the text mode installer, and
> set up X from there.  YMMV

I had problems on an ancient system at work with a similar card. Had to
use the "lores" (or is it "loweres"???) option in the installer. But I
think it was more likely because of the junky monitor I had.
<snip>
> I have a Yamaha IDE 16-10-40 CDRW, which works well under Linux.  RH 7.2
> set everything up just fine, and after I grabbed XCDroast off the net and

XCDroast comes with 7.2. Why bother to get it off the net?

---- Fred Smith -- [EMAIL PROTECTED] -----------------------------