On 17 Dec 2001, Dominic Mitchell wrote:

> > >CDWR:
> > >
> > >Sony 16x/40x/10x (CR1611)
> >
> > Sony 16x/10x/40x
>
> > It is supported by Nero 5.5, Easy CD creator 5, Win on CD, etc
> > (all for M$Win).  But I am not sure in Linux.
>
> The store where I am thinking of buying the computer has the
> following brand of CDRW: Yamaha, Plextor, Cyberdrive, Aopen,
> Goldstar and Sony.

This is a fairly good list of supported drives:
http://cdrdao.sourceforge.net/drives.html

cdrdao uses the scglib from cdrecord, so you can expect the same drives to
be supported.  cdrdao is more useful than cdrecord in some situations,
like when you want a more or less exact copy of an audio disc.  Because
cdrdao preserves the TOC and track gap data, it can produce more exact
duplicates than cdrecord.

It may also be of interest that cdrdao supports reading and writing
CD-TEXT on drives that support the capability.  I understand that some
distributors use this for copy protection, so drives marked with this
capability may be able to produce working copies of discs that other
drives cannot.

--
If I had a dollar for every brain that you don't have,
        I'd have one dollar. - Squidward to SpongeBob