On Wed, Dec 19, 2001 at 09:02:21AM -0700, Ted Hilts wrote:
> I need more detail.

Ok.  You can create a self-contained PDF file that encapsulates your
document.  There are a number of converters that come installed with
Linux, and others can be downloaded.  Anthony Greene wrote details of one
scheme that works well enough, and posted it in this group.

> Also, will not I have to invest over $200.00 US,
> which comes to over $300.00 Canadian dollars just to have a package that
> will generate PDF files?

Not if you don't want to.  There's more "armwaving" if you don't have a single
PDF formatter from Adobe, but it can be done for free.

> Will a PDF formatter accept mixed language fonts and maintain their
> appearance?

Well, that's certainly the goal.  How well that's done will depend on the
converter.  Adobe's program will probably be the most complete and accurate,
but will certainly be the most expensive.  You'd just have to try against
some sample docs.

> Would I just cut from the MS document and paste into the package
> that creates the PDF file?  Is there such a thing on Linux?

Generally not.  You can cut/paste text under 'X', but Unix/Linux tends
to use "filter" programs that accept input from stdin or a command-line
argument pointing to a file, and produce output to stdout or to another
file, again, usually identified by another argument.

Cheers,
--
        Dave Ihnat