On Sunday 23 December 2001 03:13, you said something about:
> At 02:25 AM 12/23/01 -0500, you wrote:
> >Some things to think about now that you've compiled from source...
> >Did you make sure to modify the init scripts for these services?
>
> Huh?

The init scripts are the ones located in /etc/rc.d/init.d/ that help
start/stop/etc the various services that you may (or may not) have installed
on your system. These are the things that ntsysv/chkconfig/service/etc. work
with to help make things easier and more consistent (or at least that's the
goal) for maintaining those services.

Using the self compiled versions means that you need to find alternate means
of controling those services and remembering the various command line
parameters you may wish to use when starting/stopping/etc. said services.

> >If so did you track those changes so if you install a security update or
> > the like and it changes them you can put it back?
> >Are you putting the initialization in rc.local?
>
> I will but haven't yet.

First added inconvenience. :)

> >If so are you keeping a separate backup incase something overwrites it?
>
> Thanks, will do.

Second. :)

> >Are other RPM based packages going to conflict, cause dependency issues or
> >cause other problems later?
>
> I have carefully left all rpms that were dependencies for other rpms. I
> have simply added the new distro. So, for example, I have 2 BerkeleyDB's.
> The newer one, installed by source, is symlinked to a generic name (in this
> case, BerkeleyDB) such that all I have to do when upgrading is update the
> link.

Third. :)

> >RPM is a tool to make your life easier. It does not restrict your ability
> > to customize (that's why there are SRPMS). Learn more about it and it
> > will also teach you about compiling programs (the scripts you are writing
> > is basically part of a .spec file). It is quite powerful and very
> > convenient once you get the hang of it.
>
> Okay. I've also written my own config files with all the flags, etc., and
> kept good notes.

Fourth. :)

Those are all the things RPM was meant to help with. But you are definitly
taking the right approach. Keeping track of what you're doing and doing good
back-ups will keep you from experiencing too much aggravation.

> You make a good point. Damn.
> Thanks,
> BenO

I've been there.  I'm just trying to help you make good decisions based on
knowledge of how things work and your determination of how it fits your
needs. There is no _best_ way for everyone, but there are often easier ways
that are not utilized due to a lack of knowledge.

--
Brian Ashe                                                     CTO
Dee-Web Software Services, LLC.                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]