I just converted from @home to Optimum Online.  It is dead easy.  Pick
up or order the kit from your provider (in my case Cablevision).  Set
up your machine to use DHCP.  The directions to do this are in the Red
Hat Customization Guide, at page 127.  I'd advise editing the
configuration files manually and not using the GUI tool.  Some on the
list have reported problems with it (Network Configurator).

I think it took me 10 minutes.  But write back if you have any
difficulty.

John
On 12/23/01, 09:48:30AM -0500, Mark Neidorff wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've read the cablemodem-howto.  It refers to a document on a server
> called netaxis.com.  Unfortunately that server is down, so I have two
> questions which I would like answers to:
>
> 1. the howto refers to "rrclientd".  Where can I get this?  I looked on
> rpmfind.net and on freshmeat without success.
>
> 2.  What steps do I have to go through to get linux up and running on
> optimum online?
>

> The great news:
>
> I was at the Wiz in Paramus NJ yesterday.  I got a reconditioned Terajet
> (supposed to be the best according to the folks at dslreports) modem,
> installation kit together with a 1 year contract FOR FREE.  (I have to pay
> 3 months of service in advance and the monthly charge for me is $29) The
> other piece of good news is that if you want a brand new modem, they are
> selling the Motorola Surfboard cablemodems for $50 along with the 1 year
> contract & $29/month.  (The $29 price is for existing cable TV customers
> who have "family cable" or greater service. Otherwise it is $39)
>
> Mark

John P. Verel
Living Proof That Low Tech Beats High Tech!