On Thu, Dec 27, 2001 at 10:13:18PM -0500, Dominic Mitchell wrote:
> Ed Wilts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > - then the best approach
> > is to buy a 4-port Linksys DSL/Cable "router".  These provide for basic
> > firewalling and NAT functionality and will allow your wife's computer to
> > connect to Internet when you've broken your own system.
>
> Does this means that the cable from the isp would connect first in
> the router and then in both computers? Does this means that the
> ISP would see both computers or just the router?  If that is the
> case then I would not need a second network card in my computer?

Correct.  The Ethernet out of your cable/DSL modem goes to the Linksys, and
the Linksys has a 4 or 8 port hub or switch (depending on which model you buy).

The Linksys allows you to specify which ports, if any, get forwarded to which
internal host.  Since the ISP only sees the Linksys box, you've got a lot of
flexibility.  Even with a dynamic address like I've got through my provider, I
can run some services (httpd, smtp, ssh) through some fancy DNS work (I use
http://www.zoneedit.com to run my name server - it's free and accepts dynamic
DNS updates).

Cheers,
        .../Ed