On Fri, 28 Dec 2001, Dave Ihnat wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 27, 2001 at 10:14:23PM -0800, Keith Morse wrote:
> > Hub good, cross over cable bad, ugh.
>
> Praytell, why do you say so?  A hub doesn't do anything except, maybe,
> signal regeneration for long runs, almost certainly not an issue here.
> Also, a crossover most certainly can handle full duplex--any/all modern
> ethernet cards today can--while a hub can't.  (Well, it might, if only two
> devices are plugged in, but this breaks with more.)  The ONLY advantage
> of a hub over a crossover is if you want to add more devices.

Two reasons mainly.  The first stems mainly from a corporate
mentality.  X-over cables have lead to some mighty frustrating
troubleshooting session. And you do get link lights with these cables.

The second is that I've had problems with auto-negotiation features of
NIC's trying to figure out what they each should be.  For the current
price of a hub/switch, the aggravation isn 't worth it. The one time
investment will last years.

> > Heck, even 4 port 10/100 switches are decently priced anymore.
>
> That's quite true--and not only that, 100BaseT ethernet cards are
> exceedingly affordable.  Heck, I don't know if you can even *buy* 10BaseT
> any more.  In any case, I'd recommend anyone to NOT try to use surplus
> or hand-me-down 10BaseT cards for a new installation.
>
> > And if you ever entice a friend, or as we call them, freshmeat,
> > over to play any one of the ever so refreshing first person shooter
> > games with you, the hub will facilitate it nicely.
>
> Howso?  Unless they're adding additional machines, that is.  If anything,
> a hub--as opposed to a switch--will at best do nothing to the network
> (2 machines) or slow it down due to collisions (more than two machines).

Oh man, gotta bring your own machine.  One the essential requirements of a
lan party.

> A switch, now, yes, that'll help you frag the newbie to gobbets faster.

Aye, matey.