Read up on uuencode...  Binary attachments are encoded.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Hidong Kim
Sent: Thursday, January 03, 2002 11:00 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: OT: really big e-mails

Dave Reed wrote:

> I've seen it cripple a Solaris mail server when someone (on the IT
> staff no less, but not the person in charge of the Unix machines)

I can sympathize with this situation.  I'm actually the VP of Ops at our
company.  I've also defaulted to doing the Linux sysadmin (pretty scary
for us!).  Our real IT crew is so totally Windows that it's not even
funny.  And the biggest perp on the huge e-mail attachments is our
President (who uses Outlook).  But back to the technical problem, how
does sending e-mails to multiple people eat up more bandwidth than
placing the e-mail in a directory for download?  Assuming that all of
the recipients of the e-mail are interested in reading the attachment,
it seems to me that both scenarios would consume the same bandwidth.
No?  Thanks,

Hidong

 sent